Thursday, 09 August 2007

The Painted Glass

My father recently took up reading the last two Harry Potter novels, rather defensively justifying himself by saying he ‘needed to know what happened’ and that the stories sustain their appeal through the drive of plot, which is to say that he adamantly denies that the stories are any kind of ‘good’ literature. I would agree that Rowling’s fantasy series doesn’t have the aesthetic literary quality of the canon; you cannot, as is at any point possible of Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings or Charlotte Bronte, take out a single line and go ‘wow’. But not many who have read Rowling could deny that while reading the stories they were not utterly immersed in the world she created, or hopelessly compelled by the events she described and that, whatever else you may say about her, is story-telling at its most skilful. In fact if anyone really sits down to systematically consider what enthralled them so about the books, they might be amazed at the way Rowling’s story worked at them on a hundred different levels, and I am not just talking about plot. I am talking about her ability to make a story work and work well. Again this gets frustratingly confusable with canonical judgments, so let me rather put it this way: I am talking about the ability to make a story story good, not about good literature. But where then is the line over which one crosses into bad story? Where do the forces of subjective judging hold sway and when is something just irredeemably cheesy?

Anime here offers the most fascinating example of all. In particular I am referring to Naruto, but I think the series serves to demonstrate ideas that are peculiar to anime, not least because it is richly thematic and, like the Harry Potters, seemingly simple in its aesthetic.

Naruto makes use of the crude mechanisms of cartoons to convey some of its humour, but also has the full flush of epic in its emotional scope and thematic complexity. Being a fan of either can bring one to ‘the other side’, and this is where the mode’s genius and greatest disadvantage lies. It is difficult to ‘pass into’ a story, to go from being a mere spectator to an emotional participator in it, when the mode through which that story is conveyed is something like animation. It is difficult to take animation seriously on the level on which Naruto makes its emotional demands, which is sophisticated in both its depth and its complexity. This means that it is difficult to see the story for what it is, to pass through the painted glass that is the mode of story-ing, the animation, and breathe the living emotion that is so vibrant and astonishing behind.

The Painted Glass does not always take the form of crude artifice. I believe it is the obstacle of our prejudices, that keep us from ‘passing through’ into a story, an essential transformation if we are to access it at its most yielding, and only then, attain the authority to judge it fairly.

6 comments:

Waseem said...

I must admit to being a fan of your blog. The way you put your point across, and every word exquisitely chosen. You also seem to understand the methodologies and inner workings of writing far beyond any one I have read. I am not sure if your goal or dream is to become an accomplished writer, but I have little doubt that it would be achievable to you.

I agree with your Painted Glass concept, I think thats why some people don't enjoy reading. Lack of imagination and inability to immerse themselves into the story. I have found on occasion some books I have read are unimmersible (can't find the word I'm looking for but you get my point), so I think it might have to do with relatability (sorry I dont think this is a word either, I make up my own words) as well. I think thats the marvel of JKs writing, character relatability.

rah* said...

Rowling has woven a myth within a framework of our time. A modern classic in the fantasy genre if you will.I think if she didn't timestamp her work it would be more classic and transcend time.

I do not think it is 'good' in the Literary sense, but it is good in the entertainment stakes.High and Low art. But Rowling is a bridge between the two, whilst being exceedingly pop she has the oddities of language and reference which tickle Those Who Know and Those Who See.A pastiche of the modern and of the Classic Romance.

No story or universe will work, if we do not have the power to abandon that which is real and that which is reality in favour of a few fleeting hours of the Fantasic; because only in accepting our relative unimportance with regards to the Universe laid out and the realms created by the story (more so than by the author) can we truly say that we have witnessed the Birth of the Reader.

I think that the Author is never dead in Fantasy, merely wielding you along as you succumb to the magic of the conjoined imagination of art, artist and voyeur.

Unknown said...

Those unfamiliar with naruto, its a manga and anime. Manga is actual drawings/cartoons and anime is the animated series version of the Manga.

I think Manga and anime are the contrast between Books and Books-turned-Movies... in the sense that the authors thoughts are depicted almost immaculately. This leaves no room for imagination and we see the flawless form of the authors imagination, in art and motion.

There is that bit of excitement and awe when we are introduced to a new development in an anime series, that makes me marvel at the work put into it.

I ain't much of a reader or writer but I've noticed that readers of books, who watched the movie, always believe the book to be the better thought-candy. I cant say much for movies at all, it's been thought out by someone else, so I just watch and criticize.

I appreciate the entirety of anime, except the crying bits, repetition of scenes and some other elements too. Unique sounds and themes pertaining to individual characters are subconsciously instilled in the viewer.

Audio books are also a good medium, i guess they have a near-book imaginative capacity and easier than reading :D The narrator's are usually quite flexible with the characters.

I also like the blog!
:D

Libra said...

Waseem, Queen_Lestat and aksn1p3r:
Damn! People who actually know what I'm talking about; is this goodbye to waffle? :)

Waseem: Thanks, but my posts aren't really very well-written. You only need to study it a little to see the holes and word-puffs of air, and I do that because I don't really have the space here to flesh out the ideas I touch on.

I also find some books unimmersible, lol; and I was trying to deal with my own prejudices by writing this. Thanks for reading and leaving useful comments!

QL: I wasn't talking about the entertainment or literary quality of Rowling, but the story quality, which is something else. But you're over-Lobelia'd right now so I sympathize.

aksn1p3r: I am aware that Naruto started out as a manga, but I disagree that a story in any mode can 'leave no room for imagination'. I think no matter how much is given to us, at the end of the day we construct our own meanings between the stories we are given and our own Perilous Realms.

Glad you like the blog, I'm astonished that anyone else even comes here!

Mohamed Karolia said...

Im not a book fundie or any authority on books but I will agree with you that rowlings creates a story and a world which you are immediately immersed in. Also it makes it easier to convert into a movie.

Anime for me is more an art form, then a way to convey a story though i do enjoy the combination. I havent watched naruto but intend to.

rah* said...

lol as explained in our little discussion today, I am fully aware of how off topic my comment was, but I just wanted to have my say about the aesthetics and literariness of Rowling.